Well I made it to Australia! Here’s a quick blog post to wrap up my trip to South America before I go and explore Sydney.
Things I’ve learned in Rio:
1. Sunscreen is insanely expensive here.
2. You can flag down buses like they’re taxis.
3. Never stop in a favella at night. Not even for a red light.
4. ALWAYS hide the keypad when typing in your pin number.
5. The Sunday before Carnaval is NOT a good day to visit the Cristo.
6. Juice bars are to Rio as Starbucks is to Seattle. You can get suco anywhere and everywhere.
7. They must put crack in their açaí, malencia, and manga sucos.
8. It’s considered “uncool” to bring your own umbrella and chairs to the beach. You’re supposed to rent from one of the barracas instead.
9. Hardcore Cariocas play beach volleyball, futbol-style (i.e. no hands. only head, chest, and feet are allowed).
10. It’s hard to get around Rio without knowing the language. And Brazilian Portuguese is confusing. No bueno.
11. Cariocas self-segregate by postos according to social class.
12. EVERYONE wears a bikini in Rio. No matter what shape, size, or age.